Roger Dellar, Portraits in oils
Roger will guide you through your painting, pointing out easy ways of recognising important shapes, perspective, tonal aspects, and the relationship of people and scale perspective.
Outline of the Day:
Demonstration (approximately one-hour) Roger will demonstrate with a painting of an urban scene.
He will advise on choice of subject, composition etc.
Students will then paint a picture and Roger will assist where necessary.
List of materials
All of the following are suggestions only.
- TITANIUM WHITE BURNT SIENNA
- CADMIUM YELLOW DEEP / ORANGE
- CADMIUM YELLOW HUE
- CADMIM YELLOW LIGHT (Occasionally)
- CADMIUM RED DEEP
- ALIZARIN CRIMSON
- COBALT BLUE HUE
- MANGANESE BLUE OR CERULEAN
- VIRIDIAN (SOMETIMES)
I use Winsor and Newton Winton range and Winsor and Newton alkyd white for fast drying.
- ZEST IT as a flow medium especially if going abroad.
- ROBERSONS GLAZE MEDIUM for speeding up under painting
- ROSEMARY IVORY OR HOG HAIR BRUSHES, LARGE, MEDIUM AND SMALL. RIGGER.
- ROSEMARY BRUSHES DO A ROGER DELLAR BESPOKE SELECTION.
Ground to paint on
- ACRYLIC GESSO PRIMED BOARDS. Sizes from 8”x10” – 12”x 16” 12”x 12” favourite.
- PROPRIETORY PANELS (Boards)
- CANVAS BOARDS
- TOWELLING RAG.
- EASEL/ POCHADE BOX.
- OBLONG PALETTE 16X12 INS APPROX IF NO POCHADE BOX.
The materials here are what I use and are only suggestions. I sometimes change things for interest.
Don’t go and buy unless you really want to try them.
ROGER DELLAR.ROI, RI, PS
Roger Dellar is a figurative artist who works in oils, pastels, mixed media, acrylics and water-based media. His interest in observing people in their environments has influenced him to record and interpret them, capturing light effects.
He regularly exhibits in galleries in the UK and has several one-man exhibitions. He is represented in America by the Peninsula Gallery, Delaware USA.
Roger has been in major exhibitions with The Royal Water-colour Society at the Bankside Gallery, The Pastel Society, The Royal Society of Marine Artists, The New English Art Club, The Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour, The Royal Society of Portrait Painters, The Royal Institute of Oil Painters, and The Royal Society of British Artists, all at the Mall Galleries, The West of England Academy (Bristol) and The Royal Academy London.
Roger is a member of The Royal Institute of Oil Painters, The Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour, The Pastel Society, and President of The Wapping Group, and also President of the Haslemere Art Society.
Roger has won over twenty National Awards.